TMHS 350: The Secret Life Of Fat - With Guest Dr. Sylvia Tara
What comes to mind when you think about fat? If you’re like most people, you probably associate a negative connotation with that word. But like most things when it comes to health, it’s simply not that black and white. While it’s certainly important to have control over your body fat percentage, fat has been overly demonized in our society.
Fat actually plays many critical roles within the body—it can affect the size of your brain, your hormone function, the efficacy of your immune system, and more. Because the function of fat is largely misunderstood, so many people fail when it comes to losing weight. In fact, there’s an entire industry dedicated to teas, pills, and diets that work against the body’s natural mechanisms.
Today we’re going to dissect what fat actually is, and its complex role in the human body. And there’s no one better to approach this topic than Dr. Sylvia Tara. In her new book, The Secret Life of Fat, Dr. Tara explores the cutting-edge science behind fat as an organ, its role in the body, and how to work alongside your body’s natural processes. Whether you want to lose fat or gain a better understanding of how your body works, I know Dr. Tara’s work will bring you a deeper understanding of the biology of fat. Enjoy!
- How human perception of body fat has changed over time.
- Why fat is an organ like the skin.
- The link between leptin creation and fat.
- How your fat and your hypothalamus are connected.
- Why fat storage is a currency system.
- The different types of fat and their roles within the body.
- How brown adipose fat works.
- Ways to increase your brown fat production.
- The truth about sumo wrestlers’ bodies.
- What beige fat is.
- The link between fat storage and estrogen production.
- Why it’s actually good to store fat.
- How fat actually fights to stay on the body.
- Why yoyo dieting can have long term implications on your body.
- What the hormone ghrelin does and how it relates to hunger.
- The link between fat and reproduction.
- How intermittent fasting can help you boost your fat loss.
- Why it’s actually harder for some people to lose body fat.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Foursigmatic.com/model ⇐ Get 15% off your daily health elixirs and coffee!
- Organifi.com/Model ⇐ Use the coupon code MODEL for 20% off!
- 4 Hidden Things That Could Be Destroying Your Sleep Quality – Episode 339
- Evening Routines That Enhance Sleep & Accelerate Fat Loss – Episode 216
- The Sleep & Fat Loss Masterclass – Episode 298
- The Benefits of Cold Thermogenesis – Episode 127
- The Secret Life of Fat by Sylvia Tara PhD
- Connect with Dr. Tara Website/ Facebook/ Twitter
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!