156: Jaron Lanier | Why You Should Unplug from Social Media for Good
Jaron Lanier is an early Internet pioneer, computer scientist, visual artist, musician, and author of Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now.
What We Discuss with Jaron Lanier:
- The real cost of the "everything is free" mentality that accompanied the cultural proliferation of the Internet and social media.
- How social media manipulates human behavior to threaten free will.
- Why negative emotions are the lifeblood of social media.
- How social media contributes to the mass production of misinformation.
- Why feeding on social media content tailored to you makes it difficult to empathize with the perspective of others.
- And much more...
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking -- our free networking and relationship development mini course -- at jordanharbinger.com/course!
If you're only going to take one gluten and dairy-free, keto, paleo, and vegan-friendly supplement to boost energy, balance nutrition, and aid digestion, then Athletic Greens -- with its 76 natural ingredients -- is what we recommend. The Jordan Harbinger Show listeners get 23 travel packs (valued at $79) with their first purchase at athleticgreens.com/jordan!
Need custom graphics, logos, or Web design? Access a community of 600,000+ designers by registering at designcrowd.com/jordan and enjoy up to $100 off with The Jordan Harbinger Show bonus offer!
Great protection. Fair prices. Easy to use. SimpliSafe is the right way to protect your home at half the size and double the range -- go to SimpliSafe.com/jordan to learn more!
Looking to score last-minute hotel deals? HotelTonight has access to unsold inventory from the world's greatest accommodations at a fraction of regular rates. Hit hoteltonight.com and use code JORDANH at checkout for $25 off your first booking!
The One You Feed is a podcast by Eric Zimmer and Chris Forbes that hosts inspiring conversations about creating a life worth living. Check it out here!
Like this show? Please leave us a review here -- even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!